Fixing Outdated Plugin Templates
Template Updates and changes
We sometimes update default plugin templates when a new version of the plugin is released.
If however, you are using a theme with older plugin templates or an older version of the plugin, you may need to update templates yourself or contact the theme author for an update.
- Most theme authors fix themes in a timely manner, so you only need to update your theme to get the updated templates.
- You need to update templates yourself if you modified templates or are using a child theme.
How to update outdated templates
We need to determine what templates to update, make a backup of old templates and then restore any customizations.
- Go to: XT Plugins > System Status > System Status. Scroll to Template Overrides near the end of the page where there is a list of plugin templates overridden by your theme/child theme and a warning message that they need to be updated.
- Save a backup of the outdated template.
- Copy the default template from:
Then paste it in your theme folder found at:
- Open the template you pasted into the theme folder with a text editor of choice, such as Atom, Visual Code, BBEdit, Notepad++, and replicate any changes that you had to the previous template in your new, updated template file.
We recognize that it can be time-consuming. This is why we try to avoid changing our plugins templates as much as possible.
Why don’t you make a button to click and update everything?
It’s impossible to make a one-click update. Why? Because there are thousands of themes, and every theme is coded differently. One size does not fit all.